Sunday, November 10, 2013

Motivarti Mentorship

Hey Guys!

In the past 10 weeks I've had the great honor of working with my mentor, the amazing Scott Watanabe, from Walt Disney Animation Studios. Scott has worked as a Visual Development Artist on beautiful films like Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, and Paperman. The mentorship program is called Motivarti Mentorship, and I highly recommend applying; it is one of the greatest learning experiences I've ever had in my career!!

I can't express enough how grateful I am to be working with Scott; I've been a huge fan of his work for years, and I feel so fortunate he chose to mentor me. He's an incredible teacher, guiding me with specific, honest and valuable feedback on my portfolio (taking time and care to give me page-by-page feedback, and even sharing his own!) as well as helping me improve my character designs; he would take time to draw over my sketches to show where I can improve my form, solidify or push the character in ways I hadn't thought of. He's given me constructive critiques which helped me gain a deeper understanding of the depths of better, more effective design. It made me realize the incredible amount of deliberate thought, design reasoning, and iteration involved with the process--which was more than I could ever have gathered from studying hundreds of making-of books and all of my favorite artists' works! He also shared his thoughts on the philosophy behind good composition, color, style and other essential foundations. Scott is so, SO kind and patient to work with, and I am still amazed at how extremely generous he is when it comes to sharing his process! I always felt so inspired after a session with him!

I deeply appreciate all he's done to help me grow; the mentorship is truly a humbling, motivating, and enormously valuable experience that may come just once-in-a-lifetime!

Thank you, Scott and Motivarti Mentorship, for everything!!

See you at CTN,
~Genevieve

Below I wanted to share some process work and the final illustration I did, based on the Beatles song, "Octopus's Garden." Enjoy! ^__^


5 comments:

IK said...

Here is Beinan(Duke), we met at the first night of CTN(waiting bus.) Sry for the late comment, but I can't wait to say~
Oh my Goodness! Your drawing is amazing, I like your charcaters,poses, especial for the facial emotion. That is so lovely! If I have time, I will check back here every week! Keep on drawing your fantastic work, we can tell more about animation next time:) Have a good one!

Unknown said...

Love these more!

BestKeptself said...

I've book-marked it for later!

หวยเด็ดหวยดัง said...

I will be looking forward to your next post. Thank you
groottravel

Unknown said...

شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
تركيب غرف نوم بالرياض
تفصيل طاولات خشب بالرياض